the best crunchy/salty/spicy cucumber salad
- 2 mini (also known as persian) cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon of chili oil. i like this chili oil available on amazon and at most Asian grocery stores. OR, make your own homemade chili oil:
- 3/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of Sichuan peppercorns, chopped – whole black peppercorns work too, but you won’t get the full effect
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- lightly whack the cucumbers with a rolling pin, so they split a little (but don’t hit them so hard that they’re smushed). chop into 1/2 in slices.
- add in the garlic and 1 T of chili oil, and stir to combine
- finish with a little soy sauce or coconut aminos
if you need to make the chili oil:
- in a small saucepan, combine the oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, peppercorns and garlic. let it come to a simmer on low heat, and cook until the red pepper flakes darken – about 10 – 15 minutes.
- remove from the heat and add a few pinches of salt and let it cool. store in a jar — it will last forever.
Can be scaled up as needed
Keywords: spicy cucumber salad, chopped spicy cucumber salad, cucumbers with chili oil