Raw romanesco is beautiful, and spicy roasted romanesco is delicious! Here is a recipe for a spicy roasted romanesco. Romanesco is cooked quickly at high heat, and then dressed with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper.
inspired by the blasted broccoli at Seattle’s Black Bottle, this is a spicy roasted romanesco. it comes together in about 25 minutes, and can either be a side dish for 3-4 people or a lunch for 1. (as it was for me.)
what is romanesco?
romanesco is like halfway between broccoli and cauliflower. it’s a member of the same brassica family. and all brassicas taste amazing when blasted on high heat and doused in garlic, olive oil, and red pepper.
This would be really good with a Campari rose spritzer, just sayin.
- 1 romanesco crown
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place romanesco on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 15 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and sprinkle with the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Roast until romanesco is beginning to brown, about 5-8 minutes longer.
- Squeeze lemon juice over and serve!