If you’re trying to figure out how to cook an artichoke, follow this recipe and you’re guaranteed to have a tender and smoky grilled artichoke for dinner. Served with a lemon-cumin aioli for an extra treat. These grilled artichokes, especially, offer a perfect smoky and tender summer appetizer.
I grew up eating artichokes, and thought they were fairly commonplace, but I have had to teach a few people how to eat one — which has to lead me to believe not enough people have heard the good news regarding a steamed or grilled artichoke. So let me open up the door to this wonderful world.
how to make artichokes
First, bring a large pot of water to boil.
While the water is boiling, snip off the pointy end of each artichoke leaf with a pair of scissors.
Poach the artichokes for about 20-30 minutes, until one of the outer leaves pulls off super easily.
Using a serrated knife, cut in half, and drizzle olive oil + salt on the sides.
Grill quickly in a grill pan or on a grill outside.
While the artichokes are grilling, mix together the ingredients for the aioli.
Dip into a lemony, cumin-y aioli and enjoy on a summer’s night!
How to Grill Artichokes
- 4 artichokes spiny tips clipped off
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of dijon
- In a large pot, bring water and 1/4 cup of vinegar to boil.
- Once boiling, cook artichokes in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
- When done, cut each artichoke each in half and remove the hairy part of the artichoke heart.
- On a grill pan or grill outside, grill flat side down for about 5 minutes, until light grill marks are shown.
- Combine the mayo, lemon juice and zest, cumin and dijon mustard in a bowl and stir to combine.