Here’s a recipe for a classic Italian chopped salad, inspired by the iconic Beverly Hills restaurant La Scala. Crunchy iceberg, cool cucumber, tender garbanzo beans, salty salami and sweet tomato all combine with provelone, basil and an oregano vinaigrette to make a delicious salad that you can serve as a side for 4 or 5, or as an entree for 2 or 3. This La Scala chopped salad is a classic!
the inspiration behind this copycat la scala chopped salad recipe
I grew up in LA, and since returning, I’ve gotten a little nostalgic for some of the meals I had as kid. In high school, we could order take out from La Scala – which sounds a lot ritzier than it was, haha! La Scala is a classic, and the salad is iconic. Zagat notes, “The chopped salad is “legendary” (“everyone orders it in some fashion or another”) at these “charming” Italians in Beverly Hills and Brentwood also luring “ladies who lunch” with other “reliable”, “nothing-complicated” fare; expect “civilized” settings, “cordial” service and moderate prices; P.S. it’s “great for takeaway” too.”
how to make this recipe
this is a pretty simple and endlessly customizable recipe! the salad at La Scala can have different types of protein – some people get it with shredded turkey or chicken — but I like it with salami and provelone. You’re going to chop the iceberg lettuce really thinly. Chop the Persian cucumbers into 1/2″ rounds and into quarters, so smaller than bite size – and either slice cherry tomatoes in half or dice bigger tomatoes into small bites. Garbanzo beans don’t need to be chopped 🙂 For the provolone, also julienne into thin slices. Chiffonade the basil, if you’re using that too. The salad dressing is 2 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar, and don’t be afraid of oregano! Toss it all together. You may want a sprinkle of flaky salt and pepper on top. Ta da!
A classic Italian chopped salad, inspired by Beverly Hills’ iconic restaurant La Scala
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄4lb Italian salami, julienned
- 1/2 cup of provolone, chopped finely or shredded
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and well-drained
- 1 cup of chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup of julienned basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- To make vinaigrette, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, and oregano in a jar or small container – shake to combine.
- In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, salami, provolone, tomato, and garbanzo beans. Toss with vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with basil.
Keywords: Chopped salad, la scala chopped salad, la scala's chopped salad, nancy's chopped salad