This is a fried chicken salad that's inspired by my favorite fried chicken sandwich. It has all the crunchy, fried bites of a fried chicken sandwich, but made low carb by eschewing a bun for salad greens. This fried chicken salad is perfect for summertime and is my new favorite "unhealthy" salad. I make this one all the time!
why this fried chicken salad is so delicious
This salad recipe has it all. It's...
- Crunchy from the cole-slaw esque base
- Briny from the pickles and the sauce
- Filling and fortifying from the fried chicken
HOW TO MAKE A FRIED CHICKEN SALAD
This salad is perfect for summertime and is my new favorite. I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit's fried chicken sandwich with spicy mayo recipe.
The full recipe with measurements and precise steps is in the recipe card below, but here is the high level overview of what you'll do.
First, you're going to make a simple cole slaw-inspired salad base with either chopped cabbage, or packaged coleslaw mix, + olive oil + pickle juice, plus red onion, jalapeno and pickles.
Next, using either fried chicken that you bought from a to-go spot, or if you're feeling ambitious, frying your own chicken, mix it all together.
Finally, top with some spicy mayo and some herbs.
Eat and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, check out my salad recipes! Also my chicken recipes!
Fried Chicken Salad
- Salad base
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- ½ cup pickle slices
- ⅛ th cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- Fried Chicken - you can also just ascertain some fried chicken from a to-go spot
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 4- ounce skinless boneless chicken thighs
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Spicy Mayo Dressing
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Cholula or Sriracha
- Optional: cayenne pepper if you want it extra spicy
- Special Equipment
- A cast iron pot for frying
- A deep-fry thermometer
- Spicy Mayo
- Mix garlic powder, mayonnaise, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Briny Slaw
- Whisk together olive oil and pickle juice in a small bowl or jar.
- Toss onion, jalapeño, cabbage, pickles, an EVOO/pickle juice in a large bowl to combine; cover and chill.
- Fried Chicken and Assembly
- *Note: you can totally just get some take-out fried chicken and this salad will be divine*
- Marinate the chicken in the buttermilk and smoked paprika for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and cornstarch; whisk with your fork to combine in.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of ½-inch. Heat over medium heat until a thermometer registers 350°.
- Dredge each chicken thigh in the flour mixture, and then fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet; season with salt.
- Portion out the salad and put a piece of fried chicken on the top. Sprinkle some cilantro on top!