Have you ever heard of Chioggia beets? You’ve probably seen them on Instagram. If you’re lucky enough to find them at your farmers market, make this crunchy, raw Chioggia beet salad with queso fresco, mint, and almond.
Chioggia beets are the pink candy-striped beets you never knew you needed! They are a little more tender than your standard beet, so can be eaten raw. However, do slice them VERY thinly in order to not get a super woody bite.
This would be a great side dish for a BBQ or picnic – it serves a crowd, is refreshing, and a great summer side salad option. You can use feta or ricotta salata, too, if you don’t have queso fresco on hand. Any fresh tasting, semi hard cheese works perfectly.
More beet recipes
If you’re into beets, check out my beet hummus recipe, too!Print
A crunchy, raw chioggia beet salad with mint and queso fresco.
- 4 chioggia beets
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces of queso fresco, chopped finely
- half a handful of mint, chopped finely
- a small palmful of slivered almonds
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fruity extra virgin olive oil
- scrub and clean the chioggia beets
- slice very very thinly on a mandolin
- combine with queso fresco, mint, almonds, salt and pepper
- toss with olive oil and lemon juice
- thats it!
Keywords: beet salad, chioggia beets, chioggia