Have you ever heard of Chioggia beets? You’ve probably seen them on Instagram. If you’re lucky enough to find them at your farmers market, here’s a recipe for a shaved, raw Chioggia beet salad with queso fresco, mint, and almonds.
Chioggia beets are the pink candy-striped beets you never knew you needed! They are a little more tender than your standard beet, so can be eaten raw. However, do slice them VERY thinly in order to not get a super woody bite.
This would be a great side dish for a BBQ or picnic – it serves a crowd, is refreshing, and a great summer side salad option. You can use feta or ricotta salata, too, if you don’t have queso fresco on hand. Any fresh tasting, semi hard cheese works perfectly.
More beet recipes
If you’re into beets, check out my beet hummus recipe, too!
Shaved Chioggia Beet Salad
- 4 chioggia beets raw
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces of queso fresco chopped finely
- ¼ cup mint chopped finely
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Scrub and clean the chioggia beets
- Slice very very thinly on a mandolin – be careful!
- Combine with queso fresco, mint, almonds, salt and pepper
- Toss with olive oil and lemon juice
- That is it!