This bitter greens salad is inspired by a delicious dish from Toro Bravo in Portland, Oregon. Made with radicchio, bacon, parmesan, and a balsamic vinaigrette, it is simple and easy! If you love spicy, bitter flavors from the radicchio, this is the salad for you. The sweet and mild ingredients balance out the salad to deliver just the right amount of bitterness.
the inspo behind this bitter greens salad
i love bitter things and i love radicchio, but even i can be like, ok this is too bitter. to make a lettuce with bitter greens taste good, you have to balance out the flavors with more mild and more sweet notes. The bacon and the vinaigrette really help to cut the bitterness of the radicchio in this recipe.
By adding in bacon it adds a salty, fatty, sweet flavor to the salad. And then the parmesan comes in and helps mellow it all out. The you can mix in some sweeter lettuces too, so you’re not all bitter lettuce all the time in the ridicchio salad.
Last, simply drizzle the salad over with an easy balsamic vinaigrette to bring it all together.
how to make a radicchio salad
just chop and toss and serve!!
Radicchio Salad Inspired By Toro Bravo
- One head of radicchio sliced into 1” slices
- One head of little gems lettuce torn into leaves
- Two slices of bacon cooked crisp
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese shaved
- Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- One tsp of Dijon mustard
- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside on a paper towel to cool.
- In a jar, combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Shake and let it sit while you prepare the salad.
- Combine the lettuce, radicchio, bacon, and parmesan with the vinaigrette. Toss and serve.