while this salad isn’t much to look at, it’s fluffy, has crunchy bits and lots of flavor from the garlicky breadcrumbs.
- 1 bunch of curly kale
- 1/4 cup finely blitzed Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Your choice of how much breadcrumbs per person, but estimate 1/2-1 cup total
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- Make the anchovy breadcrumbs – take half a loaf of bread, cut in cubes, and blitz in the food processor until fine. then, take 1 cup of the fresh breadcrumbs and toast in a skillet first dry, to get the bread dried out. Then add the finely minced garlic and minced anchovies, and stir to combine. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper and stir to combine; toast until brown. save the leftovers 🙂
- Chop or food process the kale. strip the kale from its ribs and loosely chop. in the food processor, in batches, whiz and process until fine but not salsa-verde fine — a few pulses. see the close-up pic above for the texture you’re going for. it took me about 4 batches to get through 1 head of kale.
- Grate (or pulse in the food processor, since it’s set up) the pecorino romano.
- Finish. Combine the kale, breadcrumbs, pecorino in a bowl; season to taste with the red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. then, drizzle with lemon juice. Finish with a little drizzle of olive oil, just enough to combine the flavors, nothing more. Taste and adjust any last seasonings, and serve.
I love my Cuisinart for this!
Keywords: barbuto kale salad