Here is a recipe for an Asian pear steak salad that is crisp, light, and summery. With peppery arugula, sweet pear, flank steak that’s marinated in soy sauce and honey, and avocado, it’s a perfect summer salad idea for these hot months or honestly any time you’re looking for a low-carb, delicious entree salad. Hope you love this Asian pear steak salad as much as we do!
why this salad with asian pear and an asian-inspired marinade is so delicious
This marinade is the perfect thing for flank or skirt steak. I let it marinade for like 12 hours to that the meat becomes totally infused with flavor. I wanted to make a salad that could go with this amazing marinade. I came up with this Asian pear steak salad that is crisp, light, and summery with peppery arugula, sweet pear, asparagus, green onion, and avocado.
how to make the perfect asian-inspired steak salad
I first heat up my grill pan and let it get ripping hot. Concurrently, I’ll set a pot of water to boil.
Then, I sear the steak about 3 minutes each side. While the steak is resting off covered by tin foil, I’ll blanch the asparagus and then shock it in ice water to stop the cooking.
I like to use a mandoline to get the Asian pair sliced super thin, and also will chop finely some green onions in order to add some kick to the salad.
To plate the salad, I start with a layer of arugula, then asparagus, then pear, then steak on top.
If you’d like to, serve with a few avocado slices too! It really doesn’t need a ton of dressing since the steak is so flavorful, but I’ll add a very tiny drizzle of sesame oil and a squeeze of lime to pull it all together.
I think this recipe is pretty foolproof, and it’s also super delicious. It’s definitely on high rotation at our house right now! Hope you enjoy it!!
recipe for a steak salad with asian pear and asparagusPrint
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos (for Whole30 option)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey (or no honey for Whole30 option)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 g) minced ginger
- 3/4 tsp mirin or rice vinegar
- 2 lb (907 g) flank steak or skirt steak
- 4 cups of arugula
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 Asian pear
- 3 stalks of green onion
- 1/2 avocado
- Sesame oil and juice of 1 lime (half on each salad)
Cooking the meat + asparagus
- Mix together marinade and combine in a big freezer bag with meat for 12-24 hrs in the fridge
- When ready, preheat a grill pan on high
- Set a pot of water to boil on the other burner, and prepare an ice bath
- Sear the meat for about 3 minutes each side
- When water is boiling, blanch the asparagus for about 4 minutes
- Take the meat off the grill and let it rest
- Shock the asparagus
Assembling the salad
- Plate the salad with arugula, chopped asparagus, chopped green onion, sliced avocado and sliced Asian pear with 3-4 oz of steak per person
- Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and lime juice + flaky salt if needed
Keywords: Salad, Asian Fusion, American, Paleo, Gluten Free, Steak Salad