Here is a recipe for an Asian pear steak salad that is crisp, light, and summery. With peppery arugula, sweet pear, flank steak that’s marinated in soy sauce and honey, and avocado, it’s a perfect summer salad idea for these hot months or honestly any time you’re looking for a low-carb, delicious entree salad. Hope you love this Asian pear steak salad as much as we do!
This marinade is the perfect thing for flank or skirt steak. I let it marinade for like 12 hours to that the meat becomes totally infused with flavor. I wanted to make a salad that could go with this amazing marinade. I came up with this Asian pear steak salad that is crisp, light, and summery with peppery arugula, sweet pear, asparagus, green onion, and avocado.
how to make the perfect asian-inspired steak salad
I first heat up my grill pan and let it get ripping hot. Concurrently, I’ll set a pot of water to boil.
Then, I sear the steak about 3 minutes each side. While the steak is resting off covered by tin foil, I’ll blanch the asparagus and then shock it in ice water to stop the cooking.
I like to use a mandoline to get the Asian pair sliced super thin, and also will chop finely some green onions in order to add some kick to the salad.
To plate the salad, I start with a layer of arugula, then asparagus, then pear, then steak on top.
If you’d like to, serve with a few avocado slices too! It really doesn’t need a ton of dressing since the steak is so flavorful, but I’ll add a very tiny drizzle of sesame oil and a squeeze of lime to pull it all together.
I think this recipe is pretty foolproof, and it’s also super delicious. It’s definitely on high rotation at our house right now! Hope you enjoy it!!
Steak Salad with Asian Pears
Marinade for Steak
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos (for Whole30 option)
- 1/4 cup honey (or no honey for Whole30 option)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 3/4 tsp mirin or rice vinegar
- 2 lb flank steak or skirt steak
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 Asian pear
- 3 stalks of green onion
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 limes
- Set a pot of water to boil on the other burner, and prepare an ice bath
- Mix together marinade and combine in a big freezer bag with meat. Let it marinade for at least 30 minutes, and if longer than that, put in the fridge.
- When ready, preheat a grill pan on high
- Sear the flank steak meat for about 3 minutes each side.
- Take the meat off the grill and let it rest on a cutting board before slicing into 1" slices.
- When water is boiling, blanch the asparagus for about 4 minutes, and when done, shock the asparagus to stop its cooking by draining and immediately pouring cold water over it
- Plate the salad with arugula, chopped asparagus, chopped green onion, sliced avocado and sliced Asian pear with 6 oz of steak per person
- Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and lime juice + flaky salt if needed