This turkey chili
the inspiration behind this turkey chili verde
I love a protein-packed chili with no beans. when i was thinking about how to make a chili that’s a little healthier and makes use of tomatillo, i thought about a chili verde.
this turkey chili
✔️it’s really cheap to make! ground turkey + simple veggies + broth — this will cost about $10 total.
✔️ it feeds a crowd! it serves 8 people, so each serving costs a little more than a buck each. efficiency!
✔️ it can be customized! feel free to use ground chicken or sausage in place of the turkey for your dietary preference or for more flavor.
how to make chili verde with turkey
first thing you’re going to do is brown the ground turkey and then set it aside.
then you’ll sweat the onions + garlic until transclucent, and then add in the chilies + tomatillos + bell peppers + spices and cook until they’re all married with flavor.
last, you’ll add in the broth, add back in the turkey, and simmer it all together.
serve with cilantro and lime — maybe some guac? – and enjoy!
if you like this turkey chili, you may also like this chicken chili verde recipe!
Turkey Chili Verde (Whole30, Paleo, Keto)
- 2 pounds ground turkey 90% lean
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 1 cups fresh Anaheim chiles about 3 chiles, deseeded and chopped
- 2 green bell peppers cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 8 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 12 tomatillos husked, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 anise pod
- in a large cast iron pot, heat up a tablespoon of oil until shimmering and brown the turkey. set aside the meat on a separate plate.
- in the same pot, add another tablespoon of oil and sweat the garlic and onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. add in the tomatillos, peppers and chilies and stir to cook. add in the spices, and stir until fragrant.
- add back in the browned turkey and pour in the chicken broth. let simmer for about an hour.
- serve with lime and cilantro. yum!