- 1 3-4 lb chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 an onion
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 stick of butter
- optional: 1 lb of baby new ptoatoes and 1/2 a cup of white wine
- if you remember to, take the chicken out of its packaging the night before and salt/pepper the skin, and set it out uncovered in your fridge overnight to dry out. this will make crispier skin
- preheat oven to 425
- take chicken out of fridge if you dried it out, or take it out of its packaging and pat it dry now that you’re doing it.
- rub butter all over and salt/pepper the skin and inside the cavity
- quarter the onion & lemon and put onion/lemon pieces inside the cavity. if you have any butter leftover put that in the cavity too.
- tie up legs and put into cast iron skillet
- optional: put some baby new potatoes into the skillet to roast alongside the chicken in its fat – mmmmmm. if you’re doing that, about 30 min in, put the 1/2 c of white wine into the pan to hydrate/season the potatoes as they roast.
- cook for about an hour, until the skin is medium brown
Keywords: Roasted chicken recipe, easy roast chicken recipe