This is a classic, indulgent vodka pasta sauce with rigatoni recipe made with butter, onions, tomato, vodka and heavy cream. This recipe would be perfect for date night, a family get together, or any time you’re craving a classic pasta with vodka sauce.
Sometimes, YOU JUST WANT A BOWL OF CARBS. and PASTA SAUCE WITH CREAM IN IT. Okay?!! Okay.
This is my family’s vodka sauce recipe that would be great with penne, rigatoni or any tube-shaped pasta. You could also make the sauce and use it as a pizza topping??? Ideas galore.
How to make vodka sauce for pasta
Here’s how to make my favorite, foolproof vodka sauce.
- Sautee onions with butter.
In a large skillet, or honestly a medium pot, saute 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 minced yellow onion until the onion is see-through.
- Add in the vodka.
Pour 1 cup of vodka into the butter/onion mixture and let the vodka cook off a bit.
- Add in the pureed tomatoes.
Pour in 15 ounces of pureed tomatoes (1 can), and season with a little bit of kosher salt and stir. Turn down the heat and let it simmer.
- Cook pasta.
In a big pot of salted and boiling water, cook rigatoni for about 2 minutes less than the box says so – you’re going for al-dente.
- Add cream to the tomato sauce.
Stir in 1 cup of heavy cream, stir to combine and taste/adjust for seasoning.
- Transfer the cooked pasta into the vodka sauce, and stir to combine.
It’s a traditional method to finish cooking pasta in the sauce you’re serving it with so that the pasta soaks up a bit of the sauce’s flavors.
- Serve! You could serve it with a bit of basil or some shredded parmesan.
Recipe for rigatoni with vodka saucePrint
A classic recipe for vodka sauce
- Big pot of salted water
- 1 lb of rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup of vodka
- 15 oz of pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Set a large pot of salted water to high heat
- In a large skillet, sautee butter and onions on medium heat until see through
- Add 1 cup of vodka and let the alcohol cook off a little bit before adding in the tomato puree. Stir to combine, taste for seasoning, add salt probably Cover and let simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Cook rigatoni for 2 min less than the package’s description. When al dente, using a strainer transfer directly into vodka sauce to finish cooking.
- Divide and serve! Perhaps put parmesan on top or some fresh basil. Voila
Keywords: vodka sauce, rigatoni with vodka sauce, vodka pasta sauce