This homemade pickled red onions recipe is a staple recipe you should make regularly at home. It comes together so quickly and pickled red onions are the perfect condiment to anything fatty or umami that needs something acidic to cut the flavor. This homemade pickled red onions recipe is something you probably see on top of a carnitas taco at a taco stand!
The onions will be ready in about 30 minutes, but are better after a few hours. Store in the refrigerator.
how to make quick pickled red onions
You will need:
- 1 red onion
- apple cider vinegar (about a half cup??) – enough to cover the sliced onions
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Use a mandoline if you have one to slice the onion really thin, or cut really thin, and put in a jar
Cover the onion slices with vinegar, salt and sugar
Close the jar and shake it, let it sit for at least 30 min.
what is the best mandoline to use for slicing onions?
how long to pickled red onions last?
Pickled red onions will keep for several weeks, but are best in the first week.
Homemade Pickled Red Onions
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- Cut one red onion in quarters, through the root to the tip.
- Slice the red onion on a mandoline very thinly.
- Add in vinegar, salt and sugar. Add water as needed to completely cover the onions with the brine.
- Let sit for 30 minutes and enjoy