Here is a recipe for how to make labneh- a Middle Eastern strained yogurt/cheese. Also known as strained yogurt, Greek yogurt, yogurt cheese, sack yogurt, labaneh or suzma yogurt. Labneh is yogurt that has been strained to remove most of its whey, resulting in a thicker consistency than unstrained yogurt. It’s sooo easy to make, too.
why you should make labneh at home versus buying it
Honestly, it is SO easy to make labneh at home. If you have a bit of foresight, you can make it at home for the cost of a tub of yogurt. Or if you’re kinda extra like me and make yogurt at home, all you have to do is just strain your homemade yogurt. Just a little bit more and you’ll have homemade labneh.
How to make it, step by step
- Mix a pinch of salt into a 2 cup tub of plain, regular yogurt. Or 2 cups of homemade plain yogurt.
- Pour the yogurt into a sieve lined with a cheese cloth. Make sure that it’s sitting on top of a medium, stainless steel bowl (these are my fav!)
- Then, let it drain and sit in the fridge for 2 days, uncovered is fine.
- ta da!
Here is a recipe for how to make labneh- a Middle Eastern strained yogurt/cheese. Also known as strained yogurt, Greek yogurt, yogurt cheese, sack yogurt, labaneh or suzma yogurt
- 2 cups of plain whole milk yogurt (not greek yogurt)
- a pinch of salt
- a bowl set up with a strainer lined with a cheese cloth
Keywords: how to make labneh, labneh recipe, homemade labneh recipe