This recipe for homemade french fries uses an air fryer — my new favorite gizmo!!! These garlic herb french fries are a healthier option when you’re a) not trying to do the whole deep-fried thing and b) happen to have a hankering for fries at want to figure out how to do them at home. These homemade garlic fries will be a hit at your next event.
what makes this the best garlic herb air fryer french fries recipe
French fries usually are just better when you go out to get them. They need really hot oil, consistent sizing, and benefit from economies of scale.
But this homemade french fry recipe is the closest to restaurant-style french fries I’ve made yet — they’re crispy, crunchy, and really hit the spot.
how to make garlic fries in an air fryer, step by step
This is so easy.
For truly homemade garlic fries: peel and cut 1 lb of russet potatoes, and soak in salty water for 20 minutes before patting dry.
Or, for semi-homemade garlic fries: throw 1 bag of frozen shoestring potatoes into a bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Bake the seasoned potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer – cook at 400F for 15 minutes. I got this one from Amazon.
Take the cooked potatoes out of the air fryer, and toss them with a generous handful of chopped herbs – parsley, rosemary- and 3 chopped garlic cloves, as well as a tiny drizzle of olive oil so it all sticks together.
You can serve with a sriracha mayo (3 tablespoons of mayo to 1-2 teaspoons of sriracha) like what was photographed below and impress all your friends 🙂
more air fryer recipes!
Air Fryer Garlic Fries
- 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into shoestrings OR 1 bag of frozen french fries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Throw your fries into the air fryer basket, and cook in the air fryer at 400°F for 15-20 minutes.
- While the fries are air-frying, chop the herbs and garlic, and mix with olive oil in a medium-size bowl.
- Remove the fries from the air fryer and transfer to the bowl with the garlic, rosemary and oil – tss thoroughly, and season with salt – do the salt bae thing and season the fries from far away so the salt granules bounce and spread evenly.
- Serve with ketchup or sriracha mayo — which is just a 1:1 ratio of sriracha to mayo.