Every spring when herbs and vegetables begin to arrive, it always feels somewhat miraculous. i like to have a salad for lunch (at least as a side) most days, and wanted to share my formula for building a great spring salad. Here’s a recipe for a spring salad that you’ll love!
This spring salad has kale, asparagus, radish, grana padano cheese, sunflower seeds and pickled onion, but you could make a spring salad with any formula using the below recipe.
Kale, Asparagus and Radish Salad
- 2-3 cups kale
- 1/2 cup asparagus
- 2 tbsp grana padano cheese
- 1 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- pinch salt
- remove ribs of kale and tear/chop into bite size pieces
- massage with a little bit of olive oil
- season the kale with salt and pepper — as noted in “six seasons,” seasoning lettuce before you dress it helps you balance the flavor and not depend on dressing for flavor
- add dressing and toss until lightly coated and the kale (or lettuce) tastes good enough to eat on its own.
- add in some of the smaller ingredients that you want to be distributed evenly — cheese, seeds — and toss again
- if you’re just serving yourself, plate it how you like with the bigger toppings — i like to style my salads with sections for each ingredient — if you’re serving it family style, toss before serving
- finish with maldon salt if you like!