This enchilada soup recipe is super easy to make, is paleo, and also Whole30 compliant. It’s made with yesterday’s Instant Pot carnitas — which makes having cheap/tougher cuts of meat doable in a short amount of time, and this recipe will feed a crowd!
it’s still freezing in NYC and i had leftover carnitas from the other day, so turned that into a warming, filling soup inspired by enchiladas rojas.
sopa inspirada por enchiladas rojas
- 2 cups leftover carnitas
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 3 chipotles en adobo chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- heat up a few glugs of olive oil in a cast iron pot. chop the onion & peppers finely. sweat the onion and peppers.
- add in the can of diced tomatoes and chopped chipotles (w/ some of their sauce if you like the spice).
- add in spices, stir to combine until fragrant.
- add in leftover shredded carnitas (i used probably 1 cup ish?)
- add in chicken broth, stir to combine.
- let simmer for about 30 minutes
- serve with radishes, cilantro, guac, whatever u like