matcha and dark chocolate swirl brownies. yum.
for the matcha layer:
- 8 oz (225g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (75g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (12g) culinary grade matcha
- 4 oz (115g) white chocolate, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
for the brownie layer:
- 6 tbsp (85g) unsalted butter, diced
- 5 1/2 oz (160g) semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (70g) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (4g) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp (4g) arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pre-heat the oven to 350f degrees and butter/line a 8×8″ pan
- melt white chocolate – i used the ‘melt chocolate’ setting on my microwave
- in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese & sugar on medium speed until smooth, stopping to scrape the bowl with a spatula the bowl as needed
- sift in the matcha, and beat for a few more mins
- crack and slide in the egg to the mixer, beat to combine
- pour in the melted white chocolate, beat some more to combine finally
- in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Turn heat to low, add chocolate & stir until just melted.
- turn off the heat & whisk in the sugar until combined. whisk in eggs, vanilla, flour, arrowroot powder, cocoa powder & salt; whisk until well combined.
- portion about 90% of brownie batter into the prepared pan. Add the matcha to the top of the brownie layer and smooth out evenly.
- add the remaining 10% of the brownie batter to the top of the matcha layer in tablespoon dollops. Use the tip of a paring knife to swirl the brownie batter & matcha cheesecake into a marbled pattern.
- bake the brownies on the center rack for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- let them cool completely
- slice and serve!
Keywords: matcha brownie, matcha swirled brownie