This spicy cucumber salad recipe is crunchy and cool and spicy! It comes together so quickly and uses chili oil as its primary seasoning. This spicy cucumber salad recipe is a homemade take on a typical appetizer at Western Chinese restaurants, and will be your favorite snack too! And if you don't have a jar of chili oil, I've included a quick recipe for homemade chili oil here for you too.
this is my favorite snack right now - it's cool, crunchy, warmly spicy, and umami all in one bite. there are a lot of over-complicated recipes for chinese-style spicy cucumber salad out there, but it really doesn't need to be so complex.
how to make spicy cucumber salad
this salad is so easy.
literally chop cucumbers, toss with chili oil, and season with salt. voila!
the secret ingredient is chili oil. you can get it on amazon but will be way cheaper if you venture to your local asian supermarket and explore the sauce/spice aisle. (and way more fun.)
Frequently asked questions
How do I store this and how long will it last?
- Store in a Tupperware in the fridge.
- It will last for another day or two in the fridge.
What if I don't have a jar of chili oil?
- If you don't have a jar of chili oil, i've included a quick recipe for homemade chili oil here for you too.
How spicy is this recipe?
- It's 3 stars spicy. If you like spicy food, this will be mild to you. If you have a sensitive palate, it might be pretty spicy for you.
More recipes like this
Chili Oil Cucumber Salad
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup red pepper flakes
- ⅛ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon MSG - totally optional!!
- Lightly whack the cucumbers with a rolling pin or the side of a kinfe, so they split a little (but don’t hit them so hard that they’re smushed). Chop into ½ in slices.
- Add in sliced garlic and 1 tablespoon of chili oil, and stir to combine
Homemade chili oil
- In a small saucepan, combine the oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, peppercorns and 100% optional MSG. Let it come to a simmer on low heat, and cook until the red pepper flakes darken – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add a few pinches of salt and let it cool. store in a jar — it will last forever.