This is a recipe for mini orange-olive oil cake that
I also am trying to flex some new baking muscles, and get better at alternative baking -- so I was curious to see if my beloved olive oil cake could do with
It works! These mini cakes are really easy to make and I thought they tasted delicious with a simple buttercream frosting + a candied orange on top, but the recipe below gives you a simple glaze. Feel free to customize these gluten free orange olive oil cakes however you want, though!
how to make gluten free mini orange cakes with olive oil
What you're going to do is blend a whole orange in a high speed blender with olive oil to get that base going. Then, add in eggs - you def want that protein to bind and hold the whole mixture.
Off to the side, whisk together your dry ingredients. Then, throw that into the blender too. It's going to be a very thick batter!
Pop into the oven, and then once cool, drizzle with a simple powdered sugar/orange juice glaze, or do a buttercream - chef's choice.
Gluten-Free Orange Mini Cakes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 orange about 1 pound/450g, ends trimmed, then cut into chunks and seeds removed
- 1 ¼ cups paleo flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice + the zest of an orange
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Prep a mini loaf pan - spray with cake spray or line with parchment.
- In a high-speed blender, blitz the orange slices, eggs, olive oil and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the dry ingredients and blend for a few seconds to combine- it will be a very thick batter!
- Divide evenly amongst the mini loaves. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool, and make the glaze while the loaves are chilling. When totally cool, drizzle glaze on top.