This is the flourless, fallen chocolate olive oil cake of the gods!
- 1.5 cups (283 grams) semisweet chocolate chips – one normal size bag you get at the grocery store
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar, divided into 1/3 cup and 2/3 cup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 2.5 tablespoons (40 grams) almond flour or paleo flour
- 5 large eggs, separated into egg yolks & whites in two bowls separately.
- get ready. preheat the oven to 350F. prep a 10″ springform pan with parchment paper + butter + cocoa powder.
- create the chocolate custard first. prepare a double boiler – in a saucepan, boil water. in a heat resistant glass bowl or a stainless steel bowl, melt the chocolate, whisking so it melts evenly. lower the heat but keep the chocolate on the double boiler. whisk in the 1/3rd cup of sugar and whisk so it combines evenly. then, pour in the olive oil in a steady stream and whisk continually, as if you were making a mayonnaise. turn off the heat – temper the egg yolks first by adding a little bit of the chocolate in, and whisk; then add in the egg yolks and whisk continually to make sure it all combines and doesn’t curdle. last, fold in the almond flour and stir to combine.
- next, make the meringue. whip the egg whites and the remaining 2/3 C sugar together in a KitchenAid mixer – stand or hand mixer. start with the egg whites and mix on a low speed to get some air in it. then add 1/3 of the sugar and whip until not clear anymore; add 1/3, then the last 1/3 until the egg whites are stiff and aerated.
- fold in the chocolate mixture into the egg whites in thirds, trying to not overmix.
- pour into the prepared springform pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- let the cake cool — the top will fall and crack, which is lovely!
- serve as is or with some creme fraiche!
Keywords: flourless chocolate cake, flourless chocolate olive oil cake, chocolate olive oil cake