Here’s a super Autumnal baking recipe: this pumpkin cake is all the best flavors of September + October in a bite. Made with pumpkin, maple syrup, and cardamom, and topped with a yogurt-cardamom glaze, it’s slightly healthier than the average bundt cake (but still a treat for sure). It’s my favorite pumpkin cake I’ve ever made, and the cardamom and maple syrup are such fall-y flavors.
the inspiration behind this healthy pumpkin spice bundt cake
My friend Kelly came to visit a few weekends ago – she’s a former New Yorker who moved back to California – and she brought me a few hostess gifts that I folded into this cake. First, I used fancy eggs from a fancy farm in Upstate New York.
She also gave this bourbon maple syrup that I was like, this needs to be incorporated into a fall-ish baked thing immediately.
The cake can be made quickly in a stand mixer, and I used this bundt cake mold from Amazon. The cake crumb is really moist and tender from the combination of pumpkin, maple syrup, and brown sugar. I used whole wheat flour, so that makes it healthy, right? (haha) You’ll want to curl up with a blanket and a mug of tea with this cake.
how to make a healthy pumpkin spice bundt cake
Check out the full recipe below to make this yummy cake. The batter does yield a lot, since bundt cakes require typically a large volume of batter. To make the glaze, I just mixed together a small tub of Greek yogurt (the 1 cup container) with some powdered sugar and added in a half teaspoon of cardamom for extra flavor.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of labneh
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tbs. maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare bundt cake pan with some baking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, and sugar). In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients (pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, milk, and eggs).
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring until just combined.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool completely. While it’s cooling, prepare the glaze. Combine labneh, powdered sugar, cardamom and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Glaze when done!
Keywords: Bundt cake, pumpkin, cardamom, pumpkin cake, pumpkin bundt cake