This cherry pudding cake is a mashup between a cake, a spoon bread, and a buckle. It’s tender on the outside, and quite soft in the middle (by design!). It’s also made with fresh cherries – this easy cherry cake comes together quickly and is a great cherry dessert idea. The perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket when cherry season comes around and want to make them even better.
Most of the ingredients you will likely already have around your home, so it is the perfect dessert when you are looking for something simple yet delicious!
What’s your favorite cherry dessert to make in the summertime?
I love to make cherry galettes, cherry chia jam, putting cherries on a no-bake chocolate tart, and maybe one of my new favorite things is this easy cherry cake. It has everything a cherry and cake lover wants.
This pudding cake is soft where it counts, with a little structure around the edges. And it’s really good with ice cream! It also looks so pretty too when it comes out of the oven! This cherry pudding cake would look great on a spread for brunch or afternoon tea.
Cherry Pudding Cake - A New Favorite
- 1 lb of fresh cherries pitted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar divided in half
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Prepare to bake. Preheat oven to 375F. Pit 1 lb of cherries and combine with the juice of 1 lemon, and 1 cup of sugar.
- Combine the ingredients. In a bowl, combine flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, milk, and oil; pour into a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, combine cherries, extract and remaining sugar; spoon over batter.
- Bake and finish. Put the baking dish into the oven at 375F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream!