Here’s another recipe you should memorize – a simple, rustic galette that you can use with any seasonal fruit you want. This toasted sugar apple galette is endlessly customizable and celebrates apples. However, you could make it with pear or quince – whatever your heart desires! Galette is bae.
the inspiration behind this apple galette
Toasted sugar is this recipe’s secret ingredient. It is truly life changing and super simple! Toasted sugar is 100% Stella Parks’ invention – all hail Stella Parks for this one! Serious Eats notes, “Toasting sugar in a low oven allows for a range of caramelization without ever sacrificing its crystalline structure. The result is a sort of “granulated caramel” that can be used in any recipe as a one-to-one substitution for plain sugar. A mere hour of toasting will dramatically tame the sugar’s sweetness. While extended periods of time will develop a more intense caramel flavor. So play around and find out what style works best for you.”
how to make this recipe
Like any galette, you’re just making a pate brisee. You then fill it with beautiful and lightly sweetened fruit. A toasted sugar apple galette featuring warm, toasted, caramelized apple notes. It is quintessentially fall. And it is endlessly customizable!Print
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g; 1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed1
- 1/4 cup (60ml) ice cold water1
- Make the crust: combine all the dry ingredients listed under ‘crust’ and work the butter in until it’s the size of peas. Add in water until it comes together and can stick together when you clump a teaspoon in your hand. flip the flour/butter/water mixture on the counter and work into a disc. wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling: peel and slice the apples – i like to keep them organized and halved in order to get a pretty end result. Combine the sugar and spices in a bowl on the side.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Roll out the dough into a 12″ circle. place the apple slices in a pretty way and squeeze the lemon on top. dust the sugar + spices over the whole thing. Fold the edges over to create a little crust.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
Keywords: Apple galette, apple pie, rustic galette, apple recipes, fall baking