This Vegan 3-Layer Chocolate Birthday Cake is sumptuous, sexy, exquisite,
the inspiration behind this vegan chocolate birthday cake
this vegan chocolate cake recipe comes from one of my favorite bloggers,
how to make a vegan chocolate cake
Like my post “how to make a fancy naked cake” says,
For this recipe, you’re making a vegan chocolate cake and then a bittersweet chocolate ganache using vegan sour cream.
you know this by now – with nearly all baking, it goes first dry ingredients, then wet.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl until everything is well blended. Add the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Evenly divide the batter between the three 6″ cake pans and bake until the top springs back gently when pushed, 20-25 minutes. After 5 minutes out of the oven, level the cake layers and then wrap in plastic wrap and cool the cakes on in a freezer before frosting.
For the frosting, we’re making a chocolate ganache but instead of cream or regular sour
let the frosting sit off the heat until you can easily spread it on the cake layers, while those are in the freezer, for an hour or so.
frost the cake like so, and then plop it into the fridge to firm up until you’re ready to enjoy!
Vegan 3-Layer Chocolate Birthday Cake
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup coffee
- 1 cup water
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 4 cups chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups vegan sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prepare three 6″ cake pans with cake spray or butter and parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Evenly divide the batter between the three pans and bake until the top springs back gently when pushed, 20-25 minutes.
- After 5 minutes out of the oven, cool the cakes on a wire rack – or better yet, freeze them wrapped in saran wrap for a few hours – before frosting.
- to frost the cake – Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Once melted, stir in the powdered sugar and salt. Taste and adjust to your preference.
- Let the frosting cool and become a little thicker before frosting – about an hour.
- to assemble the cake, do this!