this is a recipe that takes classic chocolate chip cookies and slightly updates them to be vegan-friendly! however – they aren’t overly “clean” — still a luxurious treat, just without dairy products. These vegan chocolate chips really hit the spot and are decadent without being cloyingly sweet. enjoy!!
the inspiration behind these vegan chocolate chip cookies
chocolate chip cookies are far and away my favorite cookies – as made evident by the multiple different recipes on this blog bowing down to the chocolate chip cookie goddess. Since i’m experimenting with vegan/pegan cooking to try to lower some numbers, i’m playing with my favorite recipes to see how to vegan-ify them without losing the sense of joy and decadence you get to experience.
AND – since they’re vegan, you can eat the cookie dough as is. (honestly though did raw egg ever stop anyone from eating regular cookie dough before? probs not.)
how to make vegan chocolate chip cookies
the secrets to making vegan cookies are coconut oil in place of butter, and flax egg in place of real eggs.
flax eggs are a mixture of flax seed and water that function similarly to
from there you’re pretty much making this cookie recipe a you would a normal cookie recipe — cream the coconut oil with sugars, add in vanilla extract and the flax egg, then add in the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips and scoop out 12 equal pieces. i LOVE using this cookie scooper. i also really love silpat baking sheets for your jelly roll pans.
The Best Healthy-ish Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 9 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Stevia in the Raw for baking
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tablespoon of flax seed finely ground combined with 3 tablespoons of water – mix until combined
- 6.75 oz all-purpose or whole-wheat flour 1.5 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus flaky salt for finishing
- 3 oz of dark chocolate chips/chunks or 1 chocolate bar chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, beat the coconut oil with the sugars until creamy. Add the vanilla and the flax egg; beat on low speed until just incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until crumbles form. Add in chocolate and mix 1-2 more seconds just to combine.
- Roll the dough into 12 and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and then eat!