Here’s a recipe for chocolate dipped shortbread cookies that are tender, sweet, chocolately, and with a hint of orange. They are the perfect Christmas cookie. If you’re looking for a timeless shortbread recipe this Holiday, this shortbread cookie is the one. I definitely did not eat them in one sitting (haha… I did).
the inspiration behind these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies
ok, i love shortbread. i don’t love the instagram famous alison roman chocolate chip cookies – i think a chocolate chip cookie benefits from a sweet, more bready cookie, but a shortbread cookie in and of itself is perfect. with a shred of orange zest, these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies are just so perfect and simple. I was thinking about what cookies I could potentially make with my neice, who is 2, and would be easy enough for her to do with me – shortbread seems like the right fit.
how to make shortbread chocolate chip cookies dipped in chocolate
A chocolate dipped shortbread cookie is super easy to make. You’re going to cream together sugar and butter, add in flour, and zest an orange. then roll out the dough, let it chill, and form it into the shape you want. bake for 12-15 minutes, then let the cookies cool. then melt chocolate, and dip in chocolate. YUM!
Hope you make these chocolate dipped shortbread cookies this Holiday and share the holiday joy with your friends and family! If you’re looking for any other cookie recipes, check out these chocolate chip cookies or these PB2 cookies!Print
Chocolate dipped shortbread cookies that are tender, sweet, chocolately, and with a hint of orange, they are the perfect Christmas cookie.
- 2 cups of butter (4 sticks)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 cups of all-purpose sugar
- optional: zest of an orange
- 4 oz of good semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy – if doing so, include the orange zest here. Add in vanilla and mix to combine. In thirds, add flour and mix well. Divide dough in half and roll out on a Silpat or parchment paper into a 1/2″ thick oval, and chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes and form cookies onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Let cool – while the cookies are cooling, in a microwave, melt together chocolate chips and heavy cream in 10-15 second bursts in the microwave.
- Dip and let the chocolate harden. Enjoy!
Keywords: Cookies, shortbread cookies, chocolate dipped shortbread cookeis, christmas cookies