A copycat of the famous Levain chocolate chip cookies – these are humongous and fully an inch tall! – but with whole wheat flour.
- 3 cups (383 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (if you can’t find your baking powder, you can use 1/2 teaspoon more of baking soda and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ¾ cup + 4 teaspoons (170 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (99 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, straight from the fridge
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (255 grams) dark chocolate chips
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine the dry ingredients
- Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate chips into batter. using an ice cream scoop, scoop out cookie dough into 12 even dough balls and store on in whatever fits all the dough (jelly roll pan?) in the fridge for min 12 hrs.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
- sprinkle the cookie dough with sea salt and bake until light brown, 14 minutes was perfect for me. cool. eat
cook time doesn’t take into account the recommended 24-36 hours of chilling for the dough
Keywords: Chocolate chip cookies, whole wheat chocolate chunk cookies, Levain chocolate chip cookies