Inspired by the Levain on the Upper West Side, but with whole wheat pastry flour, these are a copycat Levain chocolate chip cookie recipe but with whole wheat flour. These Levain chocolate chip cookies are the best a tad undercooked — that’s how you get the gooey, molten middle.
Making cookies is really more of an art than a science. But the science part I do believe in here is a MUST. You have to let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 12 hours or more. My pro tip for this crucial step is – I like to scoop out the dough while the butter is still malleable. Then “age” them in the fridge rather than try to scoop out rock hard dough. It truly is a game changer when making cookies from scratch. Try it both ways and just see for yourself how much of a difference it makes in your Levain chocolate chip cookies!
Levain chocolate chip cookies made with whole wheat flour.
This recipe makes gigantic cookies – 12 cookies that are about the size of your hand!! Their size is what makes them even more fun!
Whole Wheat Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder if you can’t find your baking powder, you can use 1/2 teaspoon more of baking soda and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ¾ cup teaspoons
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs straight from the fridge
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine the dry ingredients
- Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate chips into batter. using an ice cream scoop, scoop out cookie dough into 12 even dough balls and store on in whatever fits all the dough (jelly roll pan?) in the fridge for min 12 hrs.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
- sprinkle the cookie dough with sea salt and bake until light brown, 14 minutes was perfect for me. cool. eat